When it comes to buying gifts for an occasion, most of us are confused. The confusion is not only about what the gift should be but also how should we spend, when to give, should the gift be given even if you do not attend the occasion, etc. The answers to these questions depend on what the occasion is. Like if the occasion is a birthday of a colleague or long lost relative and you do not attend the birthday, you generally do not need to send a gift afterwards. So, gift giving etiquette also depends on your relationship. The following an etiquette for weddings, graduation and workplace.
Wedding Gift Giving Etiquette
Wedding Gift Giving Etiquette
- Firstly, it is not compulsory to give a gift at the wedding, only it is customary to.
- The most common question is, when to buy the gift. You are free to buy a gift as soon as you get the invitation. However if the person is very close to you, like you best friend, you can buy the gift even after the date of wedding is announced.
- People are also confused about where to buy the gift, should it be the registry or it can be from anywhere? It is always better to buy from the registry as that is what they want. But if you have something more personal to give, you do not need to buy from the registry.
- The cost of the gift is another issue. Though some might say that one should spend only a certain amount on the gift, it is not so. Buy a gift according to your budget and relation, the amount does not need to be fixed.
- Instead of giving the gift at the wedding, send it on the address mentioned in the registry before the marriage. This way the couple won't have to worry about the gift all the time and also take it home safely.
- If it is mentioned in the invitation that gifts are not allowed, do not take a gift. It is almost like offending the couple.
- It is a general etiquette to send the gift even if you cannot attend the wedding, however it is not mandatory.
- If you cannot give the gift at the wedding, send it as soon as the couple is back from their honeymoon.
- There is no rule about gifting money, you can gift money if that's your preference and how much to give, is again your choice.
- Announcement of graduation should not be mistaken as the graduation party invitation.
- People do not take gifting much seriously when it comes to a graduation party, but as per the gifting etiquette, if you are invited for the party, you ought to take a gift.
- There are no fixed rules about what the gift can be, however the things that can be used by the student in his future life, is considered as a good graduation gift.
- Spend in accordance to your budget. If you are a bit low on budget you could buy inexpensive things like a phone card, laundry basket etc.
- If you are giving a monetary graduation gift, it should not be below $25, however the ideal amount which is customary is $50.
- If there is no graduation party, you can give the gift on the graduation day. And if you are not attending the party, send it via mail, within maximum four weeks of graduation.
- If the gift is to be given to the employees from the organization, the gift should be below USD 15.
- Do not give homemade gifts or discount gifts to employees as they can be considered too personal or cheap.
- If you are wishing to give a gift to your boss, make sure that you are allowed to give one. Generally most of the companies have gift policies.
- Do not gift any gag gift, for whatsoever reason. Gag gifts to colleagues, employees or boss are regarded as offending, however it also depend on your relation.
- You could gift general gifts like stationery items, pen sets, food baskets, chocolates, mugs, etc.
- Discuss before the co-workers before gifting your boss or senior employee.